The mighty herbal fruit
Today I'm here to talk about the Amla. It's a type of herbal fruit, called Amalika in the language of Sanskrit and widely known as Amla or Indian gooseberry in English. It's scientific name is Phyllanthus emblica. In our sub-continent amla is available from October to March. Usually its tree grows up to 6 to 30 feet tall, has the light-green leaves like pinnate. Amla flowers are greenish-yellow in color.
It is very hard to find the old home of this plant, but from the primitive era amla plant is seen here in our sub-continental environment. And thus it's very familiar to us. It's very hard to find someone in Bangladesh, who doesn't take at least a single amla during the very season. We always consider it as our native herbal fruit. With raw salt (Sodium Chloride) three to four pieces of amla can make anyone mouth-watering.
At the beginning of every bite it tests like bitter, but afterwards it always brings sweetness in mouth. It contains many herbal merits. Plenty of Vitamin C is available in it. Amount of vitamin C in amla is 3 times larger than Guava and 10 times larger than Paper lime, such results have found in nutritionists' examinations. More interesting thing is amla's vitamin C is 13 times larger than Orange, 24 times larger than Mango, 60 times larger than Banana and 110 times larger than Apple.
After getting such statistic I can easily say that stop taking various tablets and capsules for vitamin C, just take a single piece of amla every day to fulfill the demand. Or you can take amla pickle or conserve to enrich the amount of vitamin C in your body. Here are some usefulness of amla -
* Amla juice can solve problems of constipation and piles. It also helps to keep an abdominal disorder and indigestion.
* By taking amla juice with honey can removes black spots from skin and also can increases the brightness of skin.
* By taking two times per day - one table spoon of amla powder with one glass milk and sugar (as tests require) can helps to radically reduce the acidity tendency.
* Taking 3 / 4 half smashed amla with water can solves digestion disorder. Along with this amla pickle with your foods can also brings some boost in your digestive process.
* Consuming Amla juice can provide enrichment to our eye vision. Besides it helps against eye inflammation and itching. It contains Phyto-chemical that prevents our eyes from degeneration.
* By taking amla juice every day can removes our bad breath and make our teeth stronger enough.
* It increases the blood cell and helps teeth and nails to be in well condition.
* Bitterness of amla can brings back the tastes in our mouth and increases immunity.
* It is very beneficial against cough, nausea or vomiting, insomnia and pain. It's also useful for bronchitis and asthma.
* Amala can make our heart and lungs stronger and active. It has the ability to enhance the ability and activity of our brain. By taking Amla pickle and conserve can remove the weakness of our brain and heart.
* It helps to cut away the unnecessary fats from our body.
* Amla's antioxidant prevents the free radicals, as such free radicals is the main reason for our cell- degeneration, which most of the time increases the ageing symptoms in us.
* Consuming amla is very good for make a well control on blood sugar. It's also very good to make well control on cholesterol level.
* Beside all amla has a very good use for hair tonic. It's a very important ingredient for hair care. It helps to make the hair-root stronger, has the definite role to remove dandruff and boost the growth of hair.
The writer is a Sub-Editor of The Asian Age