ePaper

Saturday, November 25, 2017

UAE denies hacking Qatar news agency

  • Print

The United Arab Emirates has denied it was behind the alleged hacking of Qatar's state news agency in May.

The Washington Post cited US intelligence officials as saying the UAE had orchestrated the posting of incendiary quotes attributed to Qatar's emir that he insisted were fabricated.

The incident helped spark a diplomatic rift between Qatar and its neighbours.

UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told the BBC on Monday the Post's report was "untrue".

He also reiterated that the UAE and five other Arab nations had not written to Fifa to demand that Qatar be stripped of the right to host the 2022 World Cup.

Swiss news network The Local said a fake news story quoting Fifa president Gianni Infantino had been posted on a copycat website on Saturday.

The Washington Post's story cited unnamed US intelligence officials as saying newly-analysed information confirmed that on 23 May senior members of the UAE government had discussed a plan to hack Qatari state media sites.

Screengrabs showing the allegedly fake news story were posted on Instagram

Later that day, the official Qatar News Agency quoted Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani as criticising US "hostility" towards Iran, describing it as an "Islamic power that cannot be ignored", and calling Hamas the "legitimate representative of the Palestinian people".

Qatari officials said the agency had been hacked by an "unknown entity" and that the story had "no basis whatsoever". However, the remarks were reported across the region and caused a stir.

The UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain and Egypt responded by blocking Qatari media.

Two weeks later, the four countries cut all links with Qatar over its alleged support for terrorism and relations with Iran. The boycott has caused turmoil in the oil- and gas-rich emirate, which is dependent on imports by land and sea for the basic needs of its population of 2.7 million.

The US intelligence officials told the Post it was unclear whether the UAE authorities had hacked the Qatar News Agency itself or paid a third party to do it.

The Guardian reported last month that an investigation by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation had concluded that freelance Russian hackers were responsible.

US intelligence agencies declined to comment on the Post's article, but the UAE's ambassador in Washington insisted that it "had no role whatsoever in the alleged hacking".

"What is true is Qatar's behaviour. Funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas and Gaddafi. Inciting violence, encouraging radicalization, and undermining the stability of its neighbours," Yousef al-Otaiba wrote in a statement posted on Twitter.

More News For this Category

German president to hold joint talks with Merkel

| By International Desk
Germany's center-left Social Democrats say they are open to talks with other parties to try to end the stalemate, after Chancellor Angela Merkel failed to form a coalition government.SPD
German president to hold joint talks with Merkel

May to broaden Brexit talks amid deadlock

| By
British Prime Minister Theresa May stepped up her lobbying efforts Friday to broaden Brexit negotiations with the European Union to include future relations and trade, as the talks remained
May to broaden Brexit talks amid deadlock

Pistorius jail term more than doubled

| By
A South African court has increased Olympic athlete Oscar Pistorius's jail sentence for killing his girlfriend to 13 years and five months.Prosecutors had argued that the six-year
Pistorius jail term more than doubled

Pamplona festival gang rape case angers Spain

| By
Spaniards have adopted the slogan to support the victim of an alleged gang rape at the Pamplona bull-running festival, a case that has shocked the country just as the

Jumblatt criticizes Saudi over Hariri

| By
Top Lebanese Druze politician Walid Jumblatt on Friday criticized the way Prime Minister Saad al-Hariri had been treated by "some Saudi circles", the first time he has appeared to

US ends search for sailors air crash

| By
The US Navy on Friday called off its search for three American sailors missing since their plane crashed in the Philippine Sea.A C-2A Greyhound aircraft with 11 people on

US ends search for sailors after Philippine Sea air crash

| By Asian Age Online
The US Navy on Friday called off its search for three American sailors missing since their plane crashed
US ends search for sailors after Philippine Sea air crash

'Explosion' dashes sub crew survival hopes

| By Asian Age Online
Hopes that the 44 crew of a missing Argentine submarine might still be alive have been dashed after the navy said an event consistent
'Explosion' dashes sub crew survival hopes

Pope faces diplomatic dilemma in Myanmar visit

| By Asian Age Online
Pope Francis visits Myanmar next week, a delicate trip for the world’s most senior Christian to a majority Buddhist country accused by Washington of
Pope faces diplomatic dilemma in Myanmar visit

Zimbabwe's new leader to be sworn in

| By Asian Age Online
Emmerson Mnangagwa is to be sworn in as Zimbabwe's president, following the dramatic departure of Robert Mugabe after 37 years of authoritarian rule.
Zimbabwe's new leader to be sworn in

© 2017 The Asian Age