ePaper

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Topless Kate Middleton photo case back in French court

  • Print

The magazine’s editor Laurence Pieau and publisher Ernesto Mauri were both found guilty of breach of privacy in September 2017 and fined €45,000 (US$53,000) each.

Photographers Cyril Moreau and Dominique Jacovides, who deny taking the long-lens shots, were also each ordered to pay €5,000 fines, with another €5,000 euros payable if they reoffended.

The magazine had to pay out €100,000 in damages after the royal couple filed a claim for €1.5 million over what they said was a “serious breach of privacy.”

William and Kate also obtained an injunction preventing further use of the images.

During the trial, Closer’s lawyers argued that the pictures were in the public interest and conveyed a “positive image” of the royals.

But in a letter read out in court in May last year, William said the case had brought back painful memories of the paparazzi hounding his mother, princess Diana, who was killed in a Paris car crash in 1997 while being chased by photographers.

Closer’s lawyer Paul-Albert Iweins appealed the ruling, arguing that the fines were “exaggerated for a simple privacy case.”

The photographers’ lawyer Francois Blisten told AFP ahead of Wednesday’s hearing in Versailles, west of Paris, that he would argue for the pair to be acquitted due to insufficient evidence. — AFP

More News For this Category

'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

| By
Senior British Cabinet ministers have insisted the UK is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks without a deal, on the second anniversary of the referendum.Liam
'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

| By International Desk
Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli shared a photo of an email by the Maltese Armed Forces saying the vessel "has not manifested any distress".Toninelli called the decision
Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

| By
The United States and South Korea have agreed to indefinitely suspend two exchange program training exercises, the Pentagon said on Friday, in the aftermath of the summit earlier
US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

| By
German Chancellor Angela Merkel played down expectations of any major breakthrough at hastily-arranged talks among European Union leaders on Sunday on the migration dispute dividing Europe and threatening
Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

Melania's jacket raised questions!

| By International Desk
A day after first lady Melania Trump stirred controversy by wearing a jacket that read "I really don't care, do u?" on a trip to visit a children's
Melania's jacket raised questions!

US urges Russia to shore up Syria truce

| By
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley on Friday urged Russia to pressure its Syrian ally to uphold a ceasefire in southwest Syria following a surge of fighting

US plans migrant camps on military bases

| By International Desk
The US Navy is reportedly planning to build sprawling immigrant detention centers on military bases, amid a Trump crackdown at the US-Mexico border. A draft memo obtained by

Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

| By Asian Age Online
Several people were killed and injured in an explosion at a rally attended by thousands in Addis Ababa on Saturday, Ethiopia’s new Prime Minister
Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

French police bust major Marseille drug ring

| By Asian Age Online
French police said on Friday that they had smashed a major drug trafficking ring in the southern city of Marseille, a key hub in
French police bust major Marseille drug ring

Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

| By Asian Age Online
A French-Belgian industrialist who was the victim of one of France's most notorious kidnappings has died aged 80.
Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

© 2018 The Asian Age