ePaper

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Australia soldiers condemned over Nazi flag

  • Print

Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull has condemned a photo showing an Australian army vehicle flying a swastika flag in Afghanistan.

The "completely and utterly unacceptable" incident took place during a mission in 2007, he said.

Military officials said the symbol of Nazism was up "briefly" before commanding officers intervened, adding that those involved had been cautioned.

It follows intense recent scrutiny of Australia's conduct in Afghanistan.

The photo of the 2007 incident caused anger after it was obtained by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) on Thursday.

"It was wrong - absolutely wrong - and the commanders took action at the time," Mr Turnbull told reporters.

In a statement, the ADF said it rejected "as abhorrent everything this flag represents".

The image shows soldiers sitting on the vehicle with the flag hoisted up at the front.

The ABC quoted an anonymous defence source who said the incident had been meant as a "twisted joke", rather than a sign of support for neo-Nazism.

Australia's conduct in the US-led coalition in Afghanistan has been scrutinised following media reports last week that elite soldiers may have been involved in the killing of unarmed Afghans.

The head of the ADF, Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin, said the "serious allegations" would be investigated.

Australia's operations in Afghanistan are already the subject of a closed-door inquiry, which began in 2016.

Australia has about 300 troops currently in Afghanistan.

More News For this Category

'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

| By
Senior British Cabinet ministers have insisted the UK is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks without a deal, on the second anniversary of the referendum.Liam
'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

| By International Desk
Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli shared a photo of an email by the Maltese Armed Forces saying the vessel "has not manifested any distress".Toninelli called the decision
Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

| By
The United States and South Korea have agreed to indefinitely suspend two exchange program training exercises, the Pentagon said on Friday, in the aftermath of the summit earlier
US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

| By
German Chancellor Angela Merkel played down expectations of any major breakthrough at hastily-arranged talks among European Union leaders on Sunday on the migration dispute dividing Europe and threatening
Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

Melania's jacket raised questions!

| By International Desk
A day after first lady Melania Trump stirred controversy by wearing a jacket that read "I really don't care, do u?" on a trip to visit a children's
Melania's jacket raised questions!

US urges Russia to shore up Syria truce

| By
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley on Friday urged Russia to pressure its Syrian ally to uphold a ceasefire in southwest Syria following a surge of fighting

US plans migrant camps on military bases

| By International Desk
The US Navy is reportedly planning to build sprawling immigrant detention centers on military bases, amid a Trump crackdown at the US-Mexico border. A draft memo obtained by

Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

| By Asian Age Online
Several people were killed and injured in an explosion at a rally attended by thousands in Addis Ababa on Saturday, Ethiopia’s new Prime Minister
Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

French police bust major Marseille drug ring

| By Asian Age Online
French police said on Friday that they had smashed a major drug trafficking ring in the southern city of Marseille, a key hub in
French police bust major Marseille drug ring

Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

| By Asian Age Online
A French-Belgian industrialist who was the victim of one of France's most notorious kidnappings has died aged 80.
Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

© 2018 The Asian Age