ePaper

Sunday, June 24, 2018

Trump says he will stop war games with S Korea

  • Print

The US will stop holding military exercises on the Korean peninsula, President Donald Trump said Tuesday after his summit with the North's leader Kim Jong Un. Washington and Seoul are security allies, with around 30,000 US troops stationed in the South to defend it from its neighbor, which invaded in 1950.

They hold joint military exercises every year that infuriate Pyongyang, which has long demanded an end to the drills and often responds with actions of its own, ratcheting up tensions. "We will be stopping the war games which will save us a tremendous amount of money," Trump told reporters. "I think it's very provocative," he said - echoing Pyongyang's traditional line.

"Under the circumstances we are negotiating a complete deal," he added. "It is inappropriate to have war games. Number one, we save money. A lot. Number two, it is really something they very much appreciated."

The move, if fulfilled, would appear to be effectively an implementation of the "freeze for freeze" proposal promoted by China, under which the North would stop nuclear and missile tests in exchange for a halt to the exercises.

Kim has previously declared a moratorium on testing, saying that the development of his nuclear arsenal is complete. Trump also said he wanted to withdraw the US troops stationed in the South, something he promised on the campaign trail, saying: "I'd like to be able to bring them back home."

The issue was "not part of the equation right now", he said, but "at some point I hope it will be." Trump's declarations are likely to alarm conservatives in South Korea, who have appealed to him not to put their country's security at risk.

-AFP, Singapore


More News For this Category

'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

| By
Senior British Cabinet ministers have insisted the UK is prepared to walk away from Brexit talks without a deal, on the second anniversary of the referendum.Liam
'May not bluffing over no-deal Brexit'

Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

| By International Desk
Transport Minister Danilo Toninelli shared a photo of an email by the Maltese Armed Forces saying the vessel "has not manifested any distress".Toninelli called the decision
Malta snubs migrant ship, says Italy

US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

| By
The United States and South Korea have agreed to indefinitely suspend two exchange program training exercises, the Pentagon said on Friday, in the aftermath of the summit earlier
US suspending more training exercises with South Korea

Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

| By
German Chancellor Angela Merkel played down expectations of any major breakthrough at hastily-arranged talks among European Union leaders on Sunday on the migration dispute dividing Europe and threatening
Angela Merkel plays down chances of breakthrough

Melania's jacket raised questions!

| By International Desk
A day after first lady Melania Trump stirred controversy by wearing a jacket that read "I really don't care, do u?" on a trip to visit a children's
Melania's jacket raised questions!

US urges Russia to shore up Syria truce

| By
US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley on Friday urged Russia to pressure its Syrian ally to uphold a ceasefire in southwest Syria following a surge of fighting

US plans migrant camps on military bases

| By International Desk
The US Navy is reportedly planning to build sprawling immigrant detention centers on military bases, amid a Trump crackdown at the US-Mexico border. A draft memo obtained by

Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

| By Asian Age Online
Several people were killed and injured in an explosion at a rally attended by thousands in Addis Ababa on Saturday, Ethiopia’s new Prime Minister
Several people killed as explosion hits Ethiopian PM rally

French police bust major Marseille drug ring

| By Asian Age Online
French police said on Friday that they had smashed a major drug trafficking ring in the southern city of Marseille, a key hub in
French police bust major Marseille drug ring

Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

| By Asian Age Online
A French-Belgian industrialist who was the victim of one of France's most notorious kidnappings has died aged 80.
Baron who lost finger to kidnappers dies

© 2018 The Asian Age