Prawns with Rice Balls
15 mins u Cook time: 45 mins u Serves: 3-4
3 green chillis, chopped u 15 gm mustard seed u 100 gm onion u ¼ tsp turmeric u 1 tsp salt u 500 gm prawns u Water, as needed u 200 gm cooked rice u 20 gm coriander, for rice balls u 30 ml oil
* Grind the chilli and mustard seeds.
* Cut the onion into small cubes and sauté until golden.
* Add turmeric and ½ tsp salt; cook until smooth.
* Add the prawns and let it simmer on medium heat for 5 minutes. You can add water if you wish to increase the gravy.
* In a food processor, blitz the rice, coriander and ½ tsp salt until coarse. With wet hands, shape the rice into small spheres.
* In hot oil, shallow-fry the rice spheres until crispy and golden.
* Spoon some curry onto the centre of the plate.
* Place the rice balls on top, followed by the prawns.
NOTE: A dish traditionally prepared during Ramadan in the Indian state of Bengal, this appetising recipe consists of prawns, coriander, turmeric and green chilli - along with golden brown shallow-fried rice balls that complement the overall flavor of the dish.