Withdraw all cases: Quota protesters
Leaders of General Students Rights Council, the organization that carried out massive demonstrations last week demanding quota reforms, said on Monday that they would go on fresh agitations countrywide if cases filed against the demonstrators are not withdrawn within two days.
They asserted this demand on Monday during a press conference in front of Dhaka University Central Library. Nurul Haque, co-convener of the council, read out the written statement around 11:00am. Earlier on April 11, four cases were filed against unnamed accused following the clash and vandalism in DU camps and its VC's house during the demonstration for the reformation of quota system in government jobs.
Leaders of the demonstrators asked Bengali newspaper Daily Ittefaq to apologize immediately for its report referring to one of the quota demonstration leaders as an activist of radical outfit Islami Chhatra Shibir. They termed this news as a 'false' one. Daily Ittefaq would have to beg pardon for this report by 5:00pm Monday otherwise students of all colleges and universities across the country would reject this newspaper, they said.
The demonstrators' leaders claimed themselves to be believers of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman's ideology. They said they do not belong to any anti-government wings.It may be added that violent demonstrations took place on Dhaka University campus and some more parts of the country last week seeking reforms of quota system for entry into government jobs. The agitation was called off on 12 April following Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's declaration to nullify quota system.
The demonstrators had clashes with policemen in some places particularly in the capital city. Several students were reportedly injured during these confrontations with police force.Unidentified miscreants vandalized Dhaka University's Vice Chancellor's residence during the demonstration.