ePaper

Wednesday, April 25, 2018

Sorrell quits as WPP chief

  • Print
Martin Sorrell, who built WPP into the world's biggest advertising agency through 33 years of deal-making, quit on Saturday after an allegation of personal misconduct.

The departure of the CEO who built a two-man outfit into one of Britain's biggest companies with 200,000 staff in 112 countries leaves WPP without a boss at a pivotal time for the industry and when the group is under great strain.

WPP stunned the market last week when it said it had appointed lawyers to investigate alleged misconduct by Sorrell. He denied the allegations but in a letter to WPP staff published late on Saturday he said the "current disruption" was "putting too much unnecessary pressure on the business".

He said he had decided that "in your interest, in the interest of our clients, in the interest of all shareowners, both big and small, and in the interest of all our other stakeholders, it is best for me to step aside".

Chairman Roberto Quarta will become executive chairman until a new chief executive is found, while Mark Read, a WPP digital executive, and Andrew Scott, chief operating officer, Europe, have been appointed as joint chief operating officers.

Read, who previously sat on WPP's main board, is well regarded in the industry while Scott was involved in its acquisition strategy and was not involved with clients.

The company will consider internal and external candidates for the top job in a process that could take several months.

"Obviously I am sad to leave WPP after 33 years," Sorrell said in a statement. "It has been a passion, focus and source of energy for so long. However, I believe it is in the best interests of the business if I step down now."

WPP said the investigation, which regarded financial impropriety, had concluded. It made no further comment but repeated a previous statement that the allegation did not involve amounts that were material to the company.

A source close to Sorrell said he had been unhappy with how the investigation was handled, leaving him uncertain whether he could work with the board again.

Analysts have speculated that the sprawling group, which was being restructured after a year of lower spending from some clients, could now sell off some assets if led by different management.

PASSION AND FOCUS

The longest-serving CEO on the FTSE 100 blue chip index, Sorrell built WPP into one of Britain's biggest companies by three decades of relentless deal-making. He is one of the most high profile, and best paid, executives in the country.

In his time the group expanded to own top creative agencies including J. Walter Thompson and Young & Rubicam, as well as media planners and buyers, market-research firms and public relations groups such as Finsbury.

Present in 112 countries, WPP serves clients including Ford, Unilever, P&G and a string of major corporations around the world.

It largely outperformed its peers Omnicom, Publicis and IPG in the years that followed the financial crisis as the group pitched aggressively for new work. But it has been hit in the last 18 months by a downturn in spending from consumer goods groups Unilever and P&G, and the loss of some big accounts.

The migration of advertising online and the encroachment into market research of consultancies such as Accenture have compounded the pressures. Its shares are down around 30 percent this year.

The company said Sorrell would be available to assist with the transition, and the man synonymous with the British marketing group told the staff they would come through this difficult time.

"As a founder, I can say that WPP is not just a matter of life or death, it was, is and will be more important than that," Sorrell said. "Good fortune and Godspeed to all of you. Now back to the future."

More News For this Category

Chinese automaker plans electric car production in SAfrica

| By Asian Age Online
A state-owned Chinese automaker announced plans Wednesday to produce electric vehicles in South Africa, highlighting the growing role of the world's largest auto market in a technology seen as
Chinese automaker plans electric car production in SAfrica

Trump, Russia and China media attacks 'threaten democracy': report

| By Asian Age Online
Press freedom around the world is under threat from a triple whammy of US President Donald Trump, Russia and China's bid to crush all dissent,
Trump, Russia and China media attacks 'threaten democracy': report

Migrants 'caravan' arrive at US-Mexico border

| By Asian Age Online
Dozens of Central American migrants from about 600 travelling in a "caravan" through Mexico arrived at the border city of Tijuana late on Tuesday
Migrants 'caravan' arrive at US-Mexico border

Trump, Macron mull new Iran nuclear deal

| By
US President Donald Trump and his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron have suggested there could be a new agreement on Iran's nuclear programme.
Trump, Macron mull new Iran nuclear deal

Boko Haram attacks leave 21 dead

| By
Suspected Boko Haram militants killed 21 people in separate attacks in a remote northeastern region of Nigeria.The militants shot dead 18 forest workers who had been collecting firewood in

Hillary attacks Trump for all-out war on truth, facts

| By
Hillary Clinton has excoriated Donald Trump, telling an audience in New York press rights and free speech are "under open assault" under an administration she compared to an authoritarian
Hillary attacks Trump for all-out war on truth, facts

Quake in south-east Turkey injures 39

| By
An earthquake struck Turkey's south-eastern province of Adiyaman early on Tuesday, injuring 39 people and damaging buildings, state-run Anadolu news agency reported. The US Geological Survey (USGS)  said the

Russia and China seek international support for Iran nuclear deal

| By
Russia and China are asking UN member states to back a draft statement expressing"unwavering support" for the Iran nuclear deal, a senior Russian diplomat said on Tuesday, in a

New Zealand cinema bans pyjamas and onesies

| By Asian Age Online
A cinema in New Zealand has banned people from wearing pyjamas, onesies and dirty boots to screenings, in a move designed to raise dress
New Zealand cinema bans pyjamas and onesies

Suspected Waffle House gunman arrested

| By Asian Age Online
A man suspected of killing four people at a Waffle House in Tennessee has been arrested by police in Nashville.
Suspected Waffle House gunman arrested

© 2018 The Asian Age