ePaper

Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Donald Trump cancels February visit to UK

  • Print
Donald Trump has cancelled a planned visit to the UK in February, where he had been expected to open a new $1bn (£738m) US embassy in London.

The US president tweeted he was not a "big fan" of the new embassy - which is moving from Mayfair to south London.

He blamed Barack Obama's administration for a "bad deal" despite the fact the move was agreed under George W Bush.

The trip was not the controversial full state visit offered by Theresa May, for which no date has yet been set.

Downing Street declined to comment on Mr Trump's cancellation of the trip.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan - who has clashed with the president in the past - said the US president had "got the message" that many Londoners were staunchly opposed to his policies and actions.

BBC North America editor Jon Sopel said he suspected the possibility of protests in London would have also weighed in the calculation.

The US embassy move was confirmed in October 2008, when President George W Bush was still in the White House.

However, Mr Trump blamed former president Mr Obama's administration for selling "perhaps the best located and finest embassy in London for peanuts".

Mr Trump also criticised the location of the new building in Vauxhall, south London, as an "off location", adding: "Wanted me to cut ribbon-NO!"

The BBC's North America editor said February's planned visit could have included meetings with Mrs May at Chequers or Downing Street and lunch with the Queen.

However, no firm date for the visit had ever been agreed, nor had the White House "nailed down the details of the trip", the BBC's diplomatic correspondent James Landale added.

"There were lots of maybes, said one official, but nothing definite," he said.

The ribbon-cutting ceremony may instead be hosted by US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.

Mr Trump accepted the Queen's invitation for an official state visit when the prime minister met him last year.

A petition calling for the invitation to be withdrawn was signed by more than 1.8m people, while the issue was also debated in parliament.

Reports in June suggested Mr Trump wanted to delay a potential visit amid concerns about large-scale protests.

However, the BBC understands Downing Street is considering options for the visit later in the year.

Speaking last month, US ambassador to the UK Woody Johnson told the BBC he "absolutely" expected Mr Trump to visit Britain in 2018.

During the Queen's Speech at the State Opening of Parliament last summer, there was no mention of a visit - although a Downing Street spokesman said an invitation had been "extended and accepted".

Mrs May was the first foreign leader to meet Mr Trump after his inauguration when she visited the Oval Office in January 2017.

Typically during state visits, the government, the visiting government and the royal household agree on a detailed schedule where the Queen acts as the official host.

The cancellation comes after recent disagreements between the US and UK.

Mr Trump clashed with Mayor of London Sadiq Khan in the aftermath of the London Bridge attack last year, when he questioned Mr Khan's statement that there was "no reason to be alarmed".

Mr Khan, who also questioned Mr Trump's proposed US travel ban, said the US president's visit would "without doubt have been met by mass peaceful protests".

Relations between London and Washington were also put under the spotlight last year after Mr Trump moved to recognise Jerusalem as Israel's capital.

Mrs May said she disagreed with that US decision, which she deemed "unhelpful in terms of prospects for peace in the region".

And in November, Mr Trump clashed with Mrs May after she said it was "wrong" for the US president to share videos posted by the far-right group Britain First.

Mrs May more recently discussed Brexit and events in the Middle East in a pre-Christmas phone call with Mr Trump.

More News For this Category

Pyongyang may soon return US soldier remains

| By Asian Age Online
North Korea may soon return a first out of 200 sets of remains of American soldiers who died during
Pyongyang may soon return US soldier remains

Five injured in ‘minor’ explosion at London underground station

| By Asian Age Online
A “minor” explosion at an underground train station in London late Tuesday left five people injured, none seriously, British
Five injured in ‘minor’ explosion at London underground station

US quits UN human rights council

| By Asian Age Online
The United States withdrew from a "hypocritical and self-serving" United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday over what it called chronic bias against
US quits UN human rights council

Critical time to welcome refugees, says UN rights expert

| By Asian Age Online
The world must act now to help those forced to leave their homes by overwhelming circumstances, according to a
Critical time to welcome refugees, says UN rights expert

Britain's May rejects Brexit proposal

| By
Prime Minister Theresa May will not accept a proposal to hand Parliament more control over Brexit, a source said on Tuesday (June 19), setting up a showdown with
Britain's May rejects Brexit proposal

Trump threatens extra tariffs on US$200b of Chinese goods

| By
US President Donald Trump threatened on Monday (June 18) to impose a 10 per cent tariff on US$200 billion (S$270 billion) of Chinese goods, escalating a tit-for-tat trade
Trump threatens extra tariffs  on US$200b of Chinese goods

Italian populist Salvini sparks row over counting Roma

| By
Italy's right-wing populist Interior Minister, Matteo Salvini, has prompted a new outcry by saying he wants a census of the Roma community that would lead to non-Italians being
Italian populist Salvini sparks row over counting Roma

Trumps orders Pentagon to create US 'Space Force'

| By
President Donald Trump on Monday ordered the Pentagon to create a new US "Space Force," which would become the sixth branch of the American military but which requires
Trumps orders Pentagon to create US 'Space Force'

Britain to press ahead with 'upskirting' ban

| By
The British government said Monday it will push through a ban on 'upskirting' - secretly taking pictures up women's skirts - after a draft law was blocked last
Britain to press ahead with 'upskirting' ban

Mars to come closest to earth in 15 yrs

| By International Desk
Mars will look bigger and brighter in the coming weeks than it has appeared in the last 15 years, according to NASA.China's Xinhua news agency reported on July

© 2018 The Asian Age