ePaper

Monday, January 22, 2018

Myanmar army admits Rohingya killing

  • Print
Myanmar's army has admitted for the first time its soldiers were involved in the killing of Rohingya Muslims in recent violence in Rakhine state.

It said an inquiry had found that four members of the security forces were involved in the killing of 10 people in Inn Din village near Maungdaw.

The report said the four had helped villagers carry out a revenge attack on what it called "Bengali terrorists".

Myanmar has been accused of carrying out ethnic cleansing in Rakhine state.

More than 650,000 Rohingya have fled into neighbouring Bangladesh since violence erupted last August, with terrible stories of mass murder, rape and torture.

They accuse the military, backed by local Buddhist mobs, of burning their villages and attacking and killing civilians.

Myanmar's military has denied targeting civilians, and insists it is fighting only Rohingya militants.

Myanmar has refused to allow journalists and external investigators into Rakhine to look into the allegations of abuses.

The military announced last month that it would investigate a grave containing 10 skeletons that had been found near Inn Din.

The results of the investigation, published on the military commander-in-chief's Facebook page, said the massacre took place on 2 September.

"It is true that both the villagers and security forces admitted they killed the 10 Bengali terrorists," it said, using their usual term to refer to Rohingya militants.

"The army will take charge of those who are responsible for the killings and who broke the rules of engagement.

"This incident happened because ethnic Buddhist villagers were threatened and provoked by the terrorists."

This is a rare admission of wrongdoing by the Myanmar military. In November, the military exonerated itself of blame in the recent violence, and flat out denied killing any Rohingya people, burning villages, raping women and girls and stealing possessions.

Despite all the evidence of atrocities in Rakhine, until now the only mass grave the Myanmar authorities have found was blamed on Rohingya militants and contained the bodies of what they said were 28 Hindu villagers.

There has been speculation that the detention in December of two Reuters reporters came after they received information about the massacre at Inn Din.

UN human rights investigator Yanghee Lee had been due to visit Myanmar this month but was banned in December after the government accused her of not being "impartial and objective".

She said the decision to block her suggested "something terribly awful" was happening in Rakhine.

Source: BBC


More News For this Category

Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar

| By Asian Age Online
Another Rohingya man was stabbed to death by some miscreants at Balukhali Rohingya camp in Ukhia upazila early Monday.
Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar

Education Minister’s PO ‘goes missing’

| By Asian Age Online
Motaleb Hossain, personal officer (PO) of Education Minister Nurul Islam Nahid, has reportedly gone missing from the capital.
Education Minister’s PO ‘goes missing’

Rohingya repatriation can no way begin from Tuesday: Official

| By Asian Age Online
Rohingya repatriation will take more time to start as preparatory works are yet to finish though Myanmar side says repatriation begins on Tuesday.
Rohingya repatriation can no way begin from Tuesday: Official

Diplomats for safe and dignified Rohingya return

| By Asian Age Online
Diplomats stationed in Dhaka today laid emphasis on "safe, voluntary and dignified" return of Rohingyas from Bangladesh to Myanmar to make their return sustainable.
Diplomats for safe and dignified Rohingya return

Rohingya reparation: FM to brief diplomats today

| By Asian Age Online
Foreign Minister AH Mahmood Ali will brief diplomats stationed in Dhaka on
Rohingya reparation: FM to brief diplomats today

Rohingya crisis growing: WB

| By Asian Age Online
The Rohingya refugee crisis is growing quickly and support is needed to help cope with the influx, the World Bank said.
Rohingya crisis growing: WB

Rohingya man shot dead in Cox’s Bazar

| By Asian Age Online
A Rohingya man was gunned down by some unidentified miscreants at a Rohingya camp in Thaingkhali area of Ukhia upazila on Friday night.
Rohingya man shot dead in Cox’s Bazar

Rohingya man killed in elephant attack

| By Asian Age Online
A Rohingya man was killed in an elephant attack in Majurchhara area of Kutupalong Rohingya camp in Ukhia upazila early Friday.
 Rohingya man killed in elephant attack

Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation

| By Asian Age Online
Rohingya leaders in a Bangladesh refugee camp have drawn up a list of demands they want Myanmar to meet before authorities begin sending back hundreds
Rohingya refugee leaders draw up demands ahead of repatriation

Ensure security, peaceful-coexistence before return: Rohingya orgs

| By Asian Age Online
Rohingya organizations, operating globally, have sought guarantee of ensuring the security of Rohingyas' life and property and "peaceful-coexistence"
Ensure security, peaceful-coexistence before return: Rohingya orgs

© 2018 The Asian Age